Pull up a chair. Grab yourself a stiff drink, and let's get into it.
The most economically powerful thing you can do is to buy something for your own enjoyment that also improves the world. This has always been the value proposition of journalism and art. It’s a nonexclusive good that’s best enjoyed nonexclusively.
- Tim Carmody, Nieman Lab
At its core, your membership to The Cellar helps me to keep the lights on here, invest in storytelling, and allow my work to be freely accessible for all. Most of the writing and other content you'll get for free and without any paywalls (though sometimes you do need to sign up for The Grog newsletter). This includes:
What you get when you join
I'm assuming since you're reading this, you're not entirely opposed to the prospect of joining The Cellar. You can join as a FREE or PAID (yearly or monthly - both have the same membership benefits, one just gets you a few $$ discount). If you do decide to join, here's what you'll get:
- A weekly newsletter that you'll (probably) enjoy.
- A collection of City Guides.
- Comment and ask questions on all posts.
The Cellar Members
- Everything from FREE.
- Members-only monthly newsletters and behind-the-scenes content ("Postcard" series + archives).
- Help support independent publishing and "unlock the commons" for other readers.
- Discounts on books, prints, and merch when they become available.
This is just a starting place. One of the biggest things I want to encourage out of The Cellar members is collaboration and community. This is your membership - what would you like to see from it? More of a certain type of content? Maybe a Discord Server? Maybe some "happy hour" style Zoom sessions to talk shop?
Okay, so you made it this far now...what do you think? It'll be fun. It'll probably be weird. But I hope you're in for it.
- Is it easy to cancel? Yes, you can cancel your memberships at any time by accessing your account. Plus, I try not to look at unsubscribe data, so you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings. If you have any issues, you can email me at email@example.com, and I'll get back to you ASAP.
- Who handles payments? This platform runs (securely) on Ghost, a non-profit trying to make opportunities in the world for independent publishers. The Ghost platform integrates with the payment processor Stripe. I don’t see your payment information and never will. Big fancy companies have that all tucked away in high-security digital vaults on their servers.
- I'm not convinced you just won't take my money, where can I check out more of your work? The first thing would be to subscribe to The Grog newsletter - everything happens there first. Then I'd poke around the website a bit and peruse some of the work. Then check some of my social media channels. If you like what you see and want more of it, consider joining The Cellar.
- I don't have much money but would like to support in some way. The fact that you want to already means the world to me - thank you for that. If you aren't comfortable with the cost of the monthly or yearly tiers, you can buy me a cup of coffee by using this virtual "tip jar" to give a one-time contribution. Outside of that, sign up for The Grog newsletter and say hi.
- Just...why? Woof - that is a loaded question and one which I continuously ask myself during the depths of night. I'll let you know when I have an answer.
- Can I ask more questions? Sure thing, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll sort it out.